Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's Raining Snow...

Woke up late for class this morning. I totally forgot to set the alarm clock last night and I woke up only at 0815hrs (and my class was at 0840hrs). However, I did not miss out on the snow storm at all! When I peer out from my window (yes, yes, I know I should be rushing since I was late for class, but I just can't resist looking out at the snow), the entire parking lot was buried under piles of pure, white snow.

So, I left home in the midst of the snow storm, and trekked my way to the bus stop. The bus came late, because of the snow covered roads and so, I got even later for class. But who cares! The prof was thankful enough that half the class turned up. Anyway, while waiting for the bus, this lady was commenting that she had to shovel her way out from her house this morning, and I was thankful that my apartment maintenance crew did it for us early this morning. And while on the way to school, I kept wondering to myself how lovely the snow was, and that I'd miss all these snow when I am back in Singapore, even though I was about to be buried by them... :)

Then, I had breakfast at Collegetown Bagels (woke up too late today to have breakfast before class) and was watching the students battle in the "desert" of snow from the window... And the feeling's really nice, with my hot cup of coffee and cream cheese bagel. Reminds me of a story from "Hello, Mr Twiddle" Enid Blyton book I used to love when I was a kid, where Mr Twiddle was sitting by the window of a restaurant along the harbour, watching ships sail by. I used to wonder how lovely that feeling would be, sitting by the window with nice hot coffee looking out as the world goes by. And I had that feeling this morning, and it was wonderful...

It only just got interesting. After my class, while I was waiting for the bus home, I overheard these 2 ladies talking about Cornell cancelling classes after 1230hrs. There was this guy who heard it and immediately, with both hands thrusting into the air, said "Yes!!". Everyone started laughing and got all excited about the news. Someone even said that it had been 30 years since Cornell last closed school for a day or something, while another insisted that as recent as 1992, there was a day when school was closed. Apparently, that didn't matter to the guy who was exhilarated to hear the news, cos he started telling people at random as they walk pass the bus stop that "Classes are cancelled after 1230hrs"... Haha, that really made me (and a few others at the bus stop) laugh...

After I got onto the bus (with a lot of other students whose classes were also cancelled), the same hysteric guy got on the same bus. He was telling his friend that he's glad classes were cancelled cos he has an assignment due in a class later this afternoon, and he supposed that the deadline would be pushed till next Wed. I was thinking in my head "good try, but I bet the prof will be sending out an email soon, saying that the assignment is due tomorrow instead"... Nonetheless, overhearing all these conversations were really funny...

The best part is there's this other guy sitting behind me talking over the phone:

"Hey, classes are cancelled for me after 1230hrs, so my entire afternoon is off"...
"But I don't even have any classes this afternoon"... :o
"Also, intercollegiate sports activities are stopped for the day, but you know what's the kicker? I don't even have any practice today"...
"Whatever good that's coming out of this whole blizzard thing is really null and void to me, since it ain't doing any good for me"...

Blah blah blah, and he went on, lamenting the fact that he's not getting anything from this school closure thing. But I'm sure there are many other students across the whole campus celebrating that Mother Nature has brought them all a welcome respite. Heh, heh...

For me, I am thankful enough for the snow, so I went around my place and took some pictures and video, so that I would remember this lovely day of snow storm for many years to come... And yes, I will miss all these snow, not because of school closure (though I do get to benefit from a lab cancellation this evening) but because I'd miss the feeling of soft, white snow falling down from the sky... So here's a few for the memories:


And check out the "STOP" sign below, pleading for the snow to "stop"... Ha ha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home