Wrong Priorities? Wrong Priority.
PM's Worry: Families Who Live Beyond Their Means:
http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_217012.html
"SINGAPOREANS who spend beyond their means and have to go to their MPs for help were placed under the spotlight by none other than Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong yesterday.
He noted that as MPs, 'we often see families who have over-committed themselves financially' - for instance those who have been 'extravagant in doing up their homes using renovation loans', or 'bought expensive furniture or large-screen TV sets on hire purchase'.
'The ones with the most serious problems have bought homes which are larger than they can afford, and taken mortgages which they are then unable to pay,' he said. 'It is a sensitive matter to raise, but all MPs and social workers know that it is a real issue that needs to be tackled,' he added.
Contacted by The Straits Times, Tampines GRC MP Masagos Zulkifli said he sees at least one such case a week - for example, a family living in a flat it cannot afford, or one that needs help preventing its TV or stereo sets from being repossessed. Some come with the latest mobile phones, a clear sign they have wrong priorities, he said."
During last week's homily, it was clear what priorities Jesus have planned for our lives. "Love your God with all your heart, and all your mind and all your strength. Next is to love your neighbor as yourself". A matter of misprioritising one's finances is actually a symptom from the deeper issue of misprioritising one's life purpose. Many are lost in the glamor and empty promises of this secular world. We can continue to work out financial assistance schemes, but the emptiness in people's life can only be fulfilled by a spirituality of common good for self and for all.
To love God with all our heart, all our mind and all our strength is a tall order. More often than not, we fall short of this calling.
To love with all my heart requires no greater love for anything or anyone else. In my life today, there are way too many people, including myself, whom I love before God, and way too many things that I associate my deep attachment to.
To love with all my mind is to align all my thoughts to that of God. How often have I thought of evil thoughts to feed my own selfish intentions. To think like God is to emulate the holiness in Jesus.
To love with all my strength is to labor for none but our Lord. I labor not only for the organisation I work in nor my employers, nor even for the sake of making the money necessary to keep me physically alive. But I ought to labor for the God who created me, from whom I am blessed with all the talents and ability to labor in the first place.
How far I fall short of God's purpose for me in his life, and surely the Holy Week ahead will serve as a reminder yet again of how God's love for me precede the holiness in my own life. Even while I was a sinner, He suffered and died on the cross for me. Hallelujah.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home