Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Getting Ready

I've just managed to confirm my housing arrangement in Cornell... well kind of. Have been hunting around for housing over the past 2 months, but most of the agents were not very forthcoming. And as time draws near, I kinda stepped up my house-hunting over the internet. Sent out a number of emails to various agents, and many reverted that their apartments have all been rented out. :O

Just as I was starting to get worried, I found this really nice apartment building that had studios and 1-bedrooms. The studios were huge with a small study room, that can be converted into a bedroom. With a floor plan of 535 sq ft, the deal was pretty good. The price of US$785 also includes wireless internet + cable and private parking. I was praying hard that they would still have studios available since it was such a great deal, but alas it was not to be.

Nonetheless, 1-bedrooms (715 sq ft) were still available at the same estate albeit for another US$100 more. Well, overall, it's still a pretty good deal with full utilities less electricity, furnishing and recreational facilities included in the rent. The wireless internet and cable really made the deal more attractive since they would have cost about US$100 on their own. Just received the lease faxed over by the agent. Once I fill them up and pay the deposit, the apartment would be secured. Come to think of it, the 1-bedroom would have a proper dining area, covered patio and a nice bedroom. As compared to the studio where I have to sleep in a window-less "bedroom" and have a part of the living room taken up by the dining table, the 1-bedroom would give me a more decent place. So, guess I will just pay a little bit more to have a nice and more comfy place then... :) And that's kinda like the last preparation needed before my departure to Cornell!

Other than that, visa application and air tickets are all settled. I have a good idea on the model of car I would like to get as well as the courses that I will likely select. And my colleague from work, who studied at Cornell, has kindly loaned me some of his textbooks which may be relevant for the courses that I am going to take. Ha ha, all my textbooks from my undergrad days have been sold off to a junior, to whom I said "You can have these for a good price. I will never be taking engineering courses in the future anymore!" Well, some things you just can't be too sure about :P

Now's just the packing and stuff, and getting mentally prepared for university again. I'm excited to get a taste of school again, but yet I leave my current lifestyle with some sentiments. Afterall, I have gotten so used to work and Singapore, and making the shift will probably take me sometime. But well, no matter what, it is a path that God has prepared for me and I will take it with my very best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home