Finally, an answer...
When I received news that my MIT application was not accepted, I was wondering to myself how long i have to wait before I hear anything from Cornell or U of Michigan-Ann Arbor. Today, when I was checking my email, I got a notice from Cornell University that I have been accepted into their M.Eng program! I was so glad that finally I have an inkling on where I am going... :)
Well, when I found out that I am not going to MIT after all, there was the initial phase of disappointment. Not that MIT was my initial first choice (actually Cornell was all along my first choice), but with CDS' encouragement, I decided to give MIT a shot. And as I start preparing my MIT application and read up more about the university, it got me excited about wanting to go there. But I guess it is afterall a very competitive selection process (imagine, choosing only 1 out of 30 applicants) and Electrical Engineering is the toughest engineering department to get into at MIT. Still, I was hopeful to make it to such an excellent academy until a few days back... But it's ok, especially after I realised that I am going to Cornell afterall!
Cornell has been my initial choice, really. I loved the campus, when I visited it many years back. And of course, its reputation is undeniably among the best in North America. The best part of it is that it is near enough for frequent drives to Toronto... :) Now that I am accepted into Cornell, I finally feel that I can make "solid steps" to prepare for my graduate program... Before this, I had to "guess" when my school term would start, what courses should I be looking at and whether housing will be an issue. With Cornell's confirmation, I can start doing some real preparation... But of course, I would love to see whether U of Mich would accept my application, although I doubt I would consider Ann Arbor above Cornell... But just wanna check out my worth to U of Mich lah...
Well, another colleague of mine who also got rejected by MIT is still waiting for his Cornell application confirmation. Apparently, they need up to Apr to confirm his application as his application is still under review. Actually, I'm quite ok with whether he makes it to Cornell or not, cos I am not that close to him... So let's just see how. Meanwhile, I shall be looking forward to going Cornell... Nice...

9 Comments:
Hey Zibin!
I just heard the news from Ann. And in coming here to post my well-wishes I read your newest entry. *grin*
Anyway, CONGRATS about Cornell! I was sorry to hear about MIT, but I'm glad you got into your all-long first choice program and that you'd be geographically that much closer to Ann in the new academic year.
Heh heh, gorgeous gorges... Sounds like a rhyme... Anyway, tks to HM too for her well-wishes... Much as MIT is a more reputable school, I guess God knows where is best for me, and indeed Cornell is alot nearer to Toronto (4-hrs drive vs 9-hrs drive). Maybe next time all you kids in Toronto can come travelling down to Cornell... I will provide free accomodation; I believe they do sell tents at the gorges (hee hee)... :P
I'm trooping in to to send my very very belated congrats! And ditto what HM said. :D
Re the tents at the gorges, I think it's a smashing idea Zibin! I was wondering how to take up your offer of free accomodation and still give you grown ups enough privacy. :) A tent at the gorges sounds wonderful. I got daisies in green pastures. I got star light, I got sweet dreams; who could ask for anything more?
Thank you HJ! You all really should consider coming down to Cornell for your thanksgiving break or something.. :)
Tents *in* gorges? That's an idea too. But Zibin will have to teach us how to rapple so we can actually get *down*. Is rappling considered a survival skill at the Air Force?
And Ann, you do know that the part about daisies in green pastures, star light, and sweet dreams... are song lyrics right?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Congratulations! Thanks for your insightful msg on my blog (trying to sound like a shi xiong more than a shi di right? muahaha)
MIT or Cornell, they're equally good names, and you know that the education will shine in different ways. And more often than not, it'd up to the individual (then no prob liao right?). All the best for your graduate studies!
Hello Zibin,
After all the cute mssages, suddenly I realise my message will sound real solemn :)
Just want to congratulate you for getting into Cornell. Zibin, it's Q.E.D right :)
Don't fret about MIT, especially since it was not your first choice :) But like I was telling you the other day, I'm so glad you at least tried :)
Now that you will be closer to Ann, I'm so happy for her :) Really :) Do let Jiafu and myself know when you will be leaving. If possible, we could meet up for a meal or something ok :)
Thank you, Wanting and Yinwei for the well wishes. And yes, Yinwei, we should probably catch up before I leave for Cornell, or best still, if you and Jiafu decide to bring Zonghan back to Toronto, you can drop by Cornell too! We'll see whether dinner will be possible, either before Ann comes back over summer or after Ann is back in Singapore. But definitely before I fly off to Cornell.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home