Time Flies - An Understatement
Time Flies, and it really does. As I was taking out the boxes of those houseware items that I'm getting rid of by selling, I was overwhelmed by the sense that I'd be leaving Ithaca soon. Although I've been here for barely 9 months, I've somehow developed a sense of attachment to this place. The serenity, the beautiful nature and of course my nice little apartment and wonderful campus all made these past 9 months really memorable. It seemed like almost yesterday when I just came to this place called Ithaca and settled into this quiet apartment of mine.
My lifestyle here in Ithaca has also very different from my working days in Singapore. Things moved at a slower pace and I didn't feel like I was trying to race against time. I enjoyed the luxury of cooking almost every day, enjoying a slow dinner in front of the TV, and then have a quiet evening to either study or just relax away. The weather here is great for me, even though most people here complain about the snow and rain. Walking on campus is like taking a stroll, almost never rushing off to any destination... I guess I'd miss all these when I am in Singapore.
Yet, strangely, deep within me, I've been looking forward to starting work again back in Singapore. Well, for one, I've always liked my job. And since my new posting is to Tengah Air Base, a place that I am very familiar with, it's kinda exciting. Besides, alot of my kakis have also been posted to TAB so it'd be fun working with everyone again. I mean, seriously, not that I'm sick of being a student, but somehow I find a student's life too passive, though restful. I'm someone who like to do things, and to see things happening. Being a student entails too much "sitting back & study" that I'm starting to feel like I'm kinda detached from the world. So, I guess a 9-months break is just nice for me.
To a certain extent, I'm glad that I've had a chance to rejuvenate my energy during these 9 months. I've learnt alot indeed, both in engineering knowledge as well as in other aspects of my life. I mean, having worked for a while do put me in better perspective to be selective in my learning. And I find that it makes my learning experience more focused and purposeful. I mean, back in undergrad days, I was studying just to get out of college with good grades. Now, I'm more concerned about whether what I'm learning is going to be useful for me, and how I can make use of them when I graduate. Somehow it makes learning alot more fun.
Of course, spiritually, I was blessed with a golden opportunity to be in touch with my deepest self. I was given the solitude and space to do so. There are many wonderful experiences and spiritual insights that I've received since I came here, too many to capture them in my blog (also because I was too lazy at times). But these blessings will stick with me forever. I've never seen my life the way I see it now, and I've never seen the people around me, the people whom I love, the way I see them now. It seems to me now that everything in my life would be devoid of any meaning, if not for my love for God and His for me.
When I was much younger, when everything seems a matter of working hard and achieving it, I never understood what it meant for me to acknowledge my vulnerability and from there seek out my greatest strength. I've always understood that vulnerability is a form of weakness and in wanting to be strong, I chose not to see my own vulnerabilities. But over these past months, I've learnt to look at my own vulnerabilities and that of others, and accept them as they are. And seeing life in this perspective has indeed given my much consolation that I don't have to go through life on my own strengths. I will live each day with the love of the people around me who love me, as well as most importantly, with the love of God.
So, my rambling continues... And yes, Time Flies. Afterall, I'd lived almost 1/3 of my life now and it is all through the blessings of the One God whom I've almost always taken for granted. And while time continues to trickle in my life, I pray always that each experience would be a new lesson that I can learn from, to learn more about myself and more importantly, to learn about God...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home