Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A New Beginning

Finally, arrived in Cornell, Ithaca, after a week in NYC with my Sis and Bro-In-Law, and another week in Toronto with Ann (and hosting her aunt and uncle). We arrived kinda late in the evening yesterday, around 1730hrs, and moved into my new apartment. Yes, there are no lights in the main living room and bedroom (quite common in North America) so we needed 2 standing lamps, at least. We then set off to Target at Pyramid Mall to buy whatever stuff we need to set up the place before nightfall.

And as we set up the place, and have our first dinner here (mee goreng with eggs), I could feel the excitement of starting my 9-mths study stint here. The serentiy of the surroundings is a stark contrast to what I was used to in Toronto during my under-grad days: staying with 6 other singaporeans and being 5-mins walk away from chinatown. And I have accustomed myself to the buzz of city life during my past 5 years of working experience. So, this change to a quiet and peaceful environment requires some getting used to, but which I am sure is for the better.

Before I came to Cornell, I have prayed and set 2 main focus of my time here, other than the studies of course. Firstly, I prayed for a spiritual sabbatical during which I can rediscover God's place in my life and hopefully position Him at the C.G. Secondly, I wanted to develop a healthy lifestyle routine. Other than picking up golf, which many of my colleagues and superiors have been advising me, I would like to take pilates or yoga lessons, and jog alot more than what I did in Singapore.

So, when I first stepped into this apartment, I knew that God has prepared this for me. I had wanted a smaller studio within this same estate, so as to reduce my rental since I do not need such a huge space. But it was not to be, as they have only 1-bedrooms left. And this estate is located 10-mins walk away from school (20-mins walk from engineering quad), thus is a much quieter neighbourhood than collegetown. The greenery around here is not lacking, since it is beside a country club. As I adjust myself, and my soul, to the serenity that God has arranged for me here in Ithaca, I hope to become more sensitive to God, to myself and to the people around me. And I have to say, with the peace and quiet of this apartment and its neighbourhood it is already happening! :P

1 Comments:

Blogger Hyper Henry said...

Thank you, dear, for being here with me in Ithaca to set-up my place. Having you around make all these alot more fun, not mentioning the help you've given in setting up the entire kitchen in such a lovely way. Hope you'll be able to come down regularly so that you can enjoy the peace and quiet together with me!

11:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home