Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Journey Back

Today, as I was on the Greyhound heading back to Ithaca from Toronto, I realised that my year of sabbatical has just begun. For the past 3 weeks, I was blessed to have Ann with me, from NYC to Toronto to setting up my place in Ithaca. It was a wonderful time, sharing our little jokes here and there, and going about doing things together. We're never out of topics to talk about (or gossip about) and there are always small little things that make us burst out into laughter (ask Ann about the 'tadpole truck' :P). Truly, we've found in each other a soulmate that shall keep us through life's thick and thin in a most intimate and comfortable way.

Anyway, back to my Greyhound trip. I suddenly felt as if I had been away for a long time. Not that I have been away from Ithaca for a long time, but that I've been away from my innermost self for a very long time. Since I started work 5 years ago, I felt like I've lived life at a lightning pace. Not that I had any grievance over my work. In fact, I've enjoyed my work very much, learnt alot and matured in many ways. However, as I sit by the window on the bus, letting the music soothe my mind, I suddenly felt as if I had not been in touch with my innermost self for a long time. There were just too many things to do, too many words to say and too many issues to think about that I've not had the chance to "just be alone". I even thought to myself that maybe I am, afterall, an introvert who finds strength in silence and solitude (yes yes, laugh if you must).

As I travel the long journey back to Ithaca, where I will spend the next 9-mths rediscovering some of my innermost thoughts, emotions and aspirations, I was filled with nostalgia. It was as if I am returning to a familiar place, and indeed I am. Ever since my early undergrad days, the pace of my life has only accelerated. It is a welcoming break to take on this journey, a journey back to my innermost self.

As I sit in my room typing away at the computer, and sipping my chinese tea, I know that the journey has only just begun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home